Riga City Council City Development Department
The City Development Department is the leading Riga Municipal institution in the field of construction supervision territory planning, detailed planning, elaboration of amendments to these and their control.
The Department is an independent legal entity with its own balance and settlement account. Administratively, it is subordinate to the Riga City Council Chairman; the Department’s operation is monitored by the City Development Committee. The Department has been operating since 1994 in its current organizational and legal format, but the history of its functional predecessor dates back to the 1970s.
Mission of the Department:
To ensure the balanced development of the city of Riga in accordance with the interests of its residents and companies.
The Goals of our Activities:
To ensure legal and efficient management of the city development processes and to ensure the stable evolution of Riga. To facilitate the attraction of investments for Riga.
Vision – Today and in the Future:
We are open to new ideas, take reasoned and clear decisions for the harmonious development of the urban environment and quickly eliminate deficiencies in our work and in our communication with clients.
Main Objectives of the Department:
- Riga development planning;
- Determine the land usage and construction procedure in conformity with municipal territory planning;
- Elaborate and implement the territory planning, detailed planning and amendments to these;
- Promote the Riga city economic development and format the economic development strategy;
- Support the Riga geographic information system;
- Promote international cooperation of the city of Riga;
- Represent the interests of the city of Riga with regard to projects of the European Union and international institutions;
- Facilitate the initiation and start the elaboration of projects by creating and developing ideas of the projects in conformity with the Riga evolution strategic plans and actual needs of the residents.
Structurally, the Department consists of three structural units – the Board of Economics, the Urban Planning Board and the Administrative Department.
The Quality Management System was established in the Department in 2006, which on 17 November of the same year received the international LVS EN ISO 9001:2000 Certificate. The system successfully operated since its establishment.